// Origin and history:
The origin of bananas is Asia, where they were discovered 4000 years ago. Afterwards, in the 1st century b.C, this fruit was brought by the Romans to Europe. From Asia, this product spread to Brazil in the 16th century, where nowdays is located the biggest plantation of bananas in the world.
This tree is a giant evergreen herbaceous with a short rhizome that can measure between 3.5 and 7.5 metres high.
It takes from 80 to 180 days for this tree to develop completely. Each tree contains from 5 to 20 spikes and from each spike are born from 5 to 20 fruits.
Bananas contain 89 calories per 100 grams of fruit, 358 mg of potasium, 23 grams of carbon and, 2.6 grams of dietary fiber and 12 grams of sugar.
Among the varieties or types of bananas, the following stand out:
Banana de la Tierra: it contains a high c¡quantity of vitamin A and C. It is flattened and if it is ripe it´s skin looks deep yellow.
Banana Enana: it contains 87 calories per 100 grams. It is the sweetest one and it has a laxative effect. It has a thin and a greenish yellow skin.
Banana Oro: it measures less than 10 centimetres long but it has one of the highest calories content (158 calories per 100 grams). It is scented and sweet and it has a thin and yellow skin.
Banana Plata: it can be consumed even 4 days after ripe and it contains 89 calories per 100 grams of fruit. It has a consistent pulp and a little sweet.
- It helps to avoid depression because of the high levels of tryptophan that turns into serotonin (happiness hormone) when it goes into the organism. I
- It helps to combat constipation because of it´s fibers. Specialists recommend to eat bananas half an hour after you eat. It also cures diarrhea.
- It helps to control the feeling of nerves because it contains vitamin B that causes relaxing and satiating effects. It is also good for the memory.
- It improves the sight because it contains vitamin A.
- It is a good option if you want to lose weight because of it content of vitamin B6, which helps to avoid type II diabetes and obesity. It also avoids the intake of a large amount of food because of it´s satiating effect.